I am a British Cycling Level 2 Coach and a British Triathlon Level 2 Coach and a BSc (Open) in Sports Science & Sports Psychology.
My coaching philosophy is very much about time-efficient training and how to maximise training gains whilst also maintaining health through lifestyle and nutrition choices, avoiding injuries, and nurturing personal relationships and work responsibilities. It is a holistic and personalised approach to coaching and training, according to each rider/athlete’s circumstances and goals, and considering also the psychological and emotional needs of each athlete.
Follow these links to find out more about my coaching.
Watch this space for updates or contact me to be added to my mailing list or to ask about bespoke coaching.
Yoga is increasingly used by professional athletes to complement their sports training. I include yoga in my bespoke coaching plans to help athletes to perform at their best whilst avoiding injury.
In many ways endurance athletes are just like everyone else. You have many of the same lifestyle-related weaknesses, tightnesses, and injuries as others. In other ways though your needs are different. You probably no longer need to be motivated to do some exercise! You are more likely to have overuse issues than underuse! Your goals may be performance or efficiency related.
As a competing athlete as well as coach I have good knowledge of what needs to be incorporated into your training programme.
Yoga can help you to:
- reduce your lifestyle-related physical issues;
- help you manage stress and anxiety;
- improve your breathing function;
- strengthen and lengthen all of your muscles to improve function in all planes of movement;
- improve or maintain joint range of movement;
- develop core strength and stability;
- build postural strength, including in the planes of movement of your sport;
- strengthen the muscles involved repetitively in your sport to improve endurance and reduce overuse injuries;
- improve co-ordination, balance, and concentration;
- help you to gain a psychological edge in your sport;
- improve immune function allowing you to train and compete without interruption by illness;
- recover from specific injuries or imbalances;
- develop your awareness of optimal movement patterns in your body to increase movement economy;
- and so much more.
Find out more about my yoga coaching on these pages.
Alternatively contact me with your enquiry.
Personal training can take many forms. Sessions can be designed to suit your preferences, your work routine, be specific to your fitness or competitive goals, and devised to best match your level and type of motivation.
Whether you wish to work with free weights, prefer circuits, or wish to combine yoga with running, I can help you meet, or exceed, your fitness goals. I can also help you identify suitable goals if you do not yet know what they might be. In addition, I will help you overcome your personal barriers to participation or the things which may have previously caused you to give up training.
Some of my clients are recovering from injury and wish to particularly focus on the imbalances which contributed to their injury to prevent recurrence. Others are interested in building an overall healthy, strong, conditioned body either to perform better in their chosen sporting activities or simply to live life in an optimal way.
I can offer sessions are your home or workplace or at an indoor or outdoor venue (or more than one) in Devon or Cornwall. Some of my clients choose to do regular sessions at one venue. Others are happy to mix up their training to keep their interest levels high and to continually challenge their body in new ways.
Sessions can be daily, weekly, fortnightly, or occasional. Contact me to discuss your needs.